Monday, January 1, 2018

"Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, December 2017

Shroud of Turin News - December 2017
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: November 2017, part #1] [Next: January 2018, part #1]

This is the "Editorial and Contents," part #1, of the December 2017 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. I have listed linked news article about the Shroud in December as a service to readers, without necessarily endorsing them.

Contents:
Editorial
"Is Shroud of Turin really Christ’s burial cloth? Conference will give Utahns chance to weigh the debate," The Salt Lake Tribune, Bob Mims, December 08, 2017.
"Shroud of Turin," Sharing Jesus, Jerry Blount, December 21, 2017.


Editorial
Rex Morgan's Shroud News: My scanning and word-processing of the 118 issues of Rex Morgan's Shroud News, provided by Ian Wilson, and emailing them to Barrie Schwortz, for him to convert to PDFs and add to his online Shroud News archive, continued in December up to issue #92, December 1995. [Right (enlarge)], i.e ~78% completed. Issues in that archive are still up to #84, August 1994.

Posts: In December I blogged only 3 new posts (latest uppermost): "Obituary (1): Dr. Alan Duane Whanger (17 July 1930 - 21 October 2017)" - 18th; "18 November 1987: On this day 30 years ago in the radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud" - 11th and "Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, November 2017" - 9th.

Updates There were no significant updates in the background of past posts in December. Except that I continued going through my posts in 2017, saving linked photos in case they become no longer online.

Comments: In December, I received a comment under my "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Seventh century" post which amongst other things, questioned whether it was possible for the 7th century French bishop Arculf to have been shipwrecked off the coast of Scotland while returning by boat from the Holy Land:

"Because as he [Irish Abbot Adamnan (c. 624–704)] tells the story Arculf was shipwrecked on Iona, off the coast of Scotland. Arculf came from the Holy Land by boat ... But is it possible to get into a storm that takes you from the South of France between England and Ireland to an island off Scotland?"
I responded:
"Yes. I remember from my high school history that the Spanish Armada in the 16th century was caught in a storm and some of its ships were wrecked on the coast of Scotland. See:
"In September 1588 the Armada sailed around Scotland and Ireland into the North Atlantic ... However, there being at that time no way of accurately measuring longitude, the Spanish were not aware that the Gulf Stream was carrying them north and east as they tried to move west, and they eventually turned south much further to the east than planned ... Off the coasts of Scotland and Ireland the fleet ran into a series of powerful westerly winds, which drove many of the damaged ships further towards the lee shore ... The late 16th century, and especially 1588, was marked by unusually strong North Atlantic storms ... As a result, more ships and sailors were lost to cold and stormy weather than in direct combat." ("Spanish Armada: Return to Spain," Wikipedia, 20 December 2017)

"After the defeat of the Spanish armada by the English navy in 1588, it is said that a critically damaged Spanish vessel took shelter in the bay of Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, Scotland. The ships that survived the English onslaught were forced to navigate their way home around the north and west coasts of Scotland. Several ships were lost along the treacherous Scottish coastline in terrible weather." ("The Spanish Armada In Scotland")

The same problem of accurately measuring longitude in the 16th century existed in the 7th century."
I deleted a comment as substandard in December because the commenter told me that I should not post on a topic. I always have and always will delete as substandard comments that tell me what I should, or should not, post. If someone doesn't like what I post, the remedy is simple: don't read my blog!

I deleted as substandard another comment in December because it was a bare assertion with no reference(s) or link(s). I have updated my "substandard" `tagline' which I will include under my comments where applicable:

"MY POLICIES. Comments deleted as sub-standard include: bare assertions with no supporting reference(s) and/or link(s); bare link(s) to another website with little or no explanatory text; and comments that are inane, i.e. empty, insubstantial, lacking significance, meaning, or point."
Besides that, the comments was doubly wrong:
"... has left a new comment on your post "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Thirteenth century..." "What you call "A Justinian II gold solidus coin" is a "A Constantine VII gold solidus coin" from about 945 AD."
First, there is nothing in my post, "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Thirteenth century" about, "A Justinian II gold solidus coin." Second, I did mention a Justinian II gold solidus coin in my latest post, "Obituary (1): Dr. Alan Duane Whanger (17 July 1930 - 21 October 2017)" where the image of Jesus on the coin is cropped. However, I did show the uncropped image of the same coin in my post, "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Seventh century," where its inscription ends with what looks like "J II." Unfortunately that coin is no longer online at "Money Museum" as my footnote 25 to my then latest post states. But I had already decided to show at the start of part #2 of my obituary of Alan Whanger, a front and back (obverse and reverse) another Justinian II solidus which is online and clearly is a copy of the same coin (see below):

[Above (enlarge): "Justinian II. first reign, 685-695 AD. AV solidus ..." (Justinian II - Byzantine Coinage - WildWinds.com ... SB 1249."]

My radiocarbon dating hacker theory: I did not blog any posts directly about my hacker theory in December, but indirectly my "On this day 30 years ago in the radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud" series will provide further evidence to support my theory.

My book: In December I finished the section, "First century" of "Chapter 6, "History and the Shroud," in the dot-point outline of my book, "The Shroud of Turin: The Burial Sheet of Jesus!" (see 06Jul17).

Pageviews: At midnight on 31 December 2017, Google Analytics [Below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 832,506. This compares with 670,590 (up 161,916 or ~24.1%) from the same time in December 2016. It also gave the most viewed posts for the month (highest uppermost) as: "Re: Shroud blood ... types as AB ... aged blood always types as AB, so the significance of this ... is unclear ," Mar 18, 2011 - 178; "The Shroud of Turin: 3.6. The man on the Shroud and Jesus were crucified.," Dec 2, 2013 - 104; "The Letter from Alexius Comnenus": My response to Dan Porter," May 8, 2014 - 102; "Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, November 2017," Dec 9, 2017 - 50; and "Re: Why couldn't Joseph of Arimathea have taken the Shroud?" Jan 30, 2011 - 50. Again I cannot explain the continued popularity of some of my older posts.


Notes:
1. This post is copyright. I grant permission to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to this page. [return]

Posted: 1 January 2018. Updated: 3 February 2018.

No comments: