Saturday, November 4, 2017

"Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, October 2017

Shroud of Turin News - October 2017
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: September 2017, part #1] [Next: November 2017, part #1]

This is the "Editorial and Contents," part #1, of the October 2017 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. I have listed linked news article(s) about the Shroud in October as a service to readers, without necessarily endorsing them. If I do comment on an article it will be in a separate Shroud of Turin News post and I will add after the link, "- see "ddmmmyy, part #n."

Contents:
Editorial
"Gary Vikan will lead a talk "Two Museum Thefts that Made Headlines in Baltimore, Herald-Mail Media, Crystal Schelle, October 8, 2017. [Anti-authenticist art historian Gary Vikan mentions his upcoming book on the Shroud. But what he says in this article about the book:

"The shroud appears in history in the 1350s for the first time, and that's about the time it was made,"
falsifies his book! See my "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Twelfth century," for starters.]

Editorial
Rex Morgan's Shroud News: My scanning and word-processing of the 118 issues of Rex Morgan's Shroud News, provided by Ian Wilson, and emailing them to Barrie Schwortz, for him to convert to PDFs and add to his online Shroud News archive, continued in October up to issue #87, February 1995. [Right (enlarge)], i.e ~74% completed. Issues in that archive are up to #84, August 1994.

Posts: In October I blogged only 3 new posts (latest uppermost): "Vignon markings: Shroud's 1260-1390 radiocarbon date is against the preponderance of the evidence (2): Steps in the development of my radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud hacker theory #10," - 29th; "10 October 1987: On this day 30 years ago in the radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud," - 22nd; and "Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, September 2017" - 21st. Note that I only started my first October post on the 21st, due to an `overhang' from September.

Updates In October there were no significant updates in the background of past posts. Except that, having been through all my posts from 2007 to 2016, saving linked photos in case they become no longer online and replacing those which had gone offline, in October I started going through my posts from 2017 forwards.

Comments: In October I deleted as substandard another comment which I considered inane. In October I received an email that asked:

"My question is always and may never get answered. Who took the Shroud from the tomb?"
I replied:
"My answer is that Jesus took His Shroud out of the tomb and later gave it to `the servant of the priest' who was the Apostle John. See my series, "Servant of the priest".

My radiocarbon dating hacker theory: I blogged two posts about my hacker theory in October: "10 October 1987: On this day 30 years ago in the radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud" and "Vignon markings: Shroud's 1260-1390 radiocarbon date is against the preponderance of the evidence (2)."

My book: In October I continued to make slow progress in writing a dot-point outline of my book, "The Shroud of Turin: The Burial Sheet of Jesus!" on my smartphone (see 06Jul17). I am still working on Chapter "6. History and the Shroud: AD 30 to 944," going through the Resurrection accounts (Mt 28:1-15; Mk 16:1-8; Lk 24:1-12 & Jn 20:1-18), but I hope to finish those early in November.

News: ANTI-authenticist Hugh Farey no longer is Editor of the British Society FOR the Turin Shroud Newsletter! Barrie

[Left (enlarge): Hugh Farey[2].]

Schwortz's October Fall Update, under "BSTS Newsletter June 2017 Issue No. 85 Now Online," contained the good news that:

"BSTS Newsletter June 2017 Issue No. 85 Now Online ... This issue also marks the last issue from current Editor Hugh Farey, who is retiring from the position he has held since December 2013 and handing it over to long time BSTS member, David Rolfe. David is best known in Shroud circles for his films on the Shroud which include The Silent Witness, the BAFTA-winning production from 1978 which introduced so many to the subject for the first time."
As far as I am aware, Farey never did, as Editor of the BSTS Newsletter, author an article in it, or anywhere, in support of his ABSURD, "accidental 14th century origin" of the Shroud theory:
"Unlike my predecessors, whom I think are more or less committed to a pro-authenticity point of view, I myself currently incline more towards an accidental 14th century origin for the cloth now preserved in Turin." ("Editorial - by Hugh Farey," BSTS Newsletter, No. 78, December 2013. My emphasis).
If this is so, it shows that: 1) Farey does not really believe his own "accidental 14th century origin" theory, and 2) he does not believe any other Shroud anti-authenticist theory either!

Farey could not resist firing a parting shot at pro-authenticists, patronising us all as dwellers in "the sunlit uplands of the conventional acceptance of authenticity":

"Since I first took on the job, I was keen to make this publication a window onto all aspects of current Shroud research, and not simply the sunlit uplands of the conventional acceptance of authenticity" ("Editorial - by Hugh Farey," BSTS Newsletter, No. 85, June 2017. My emphasis).

Pageviews: At midnight on 31 October 2017, Google Analytics [Below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 813,706. This compares with 609,349 (up 204,357 or ~33.5%) from the same time in October 2016. It also gave the most viewed posts for the month (highest uppermost) as: "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Twelfth century," Sep 23, 2017, 195; "The Shroud of Turin: 3.6. The man on the Shroud and Jesus were crucified.," Dec 2, 2013 - 154; "29 June 1987: On this day 30 years ago in the radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud," Sep 13, 2017 - 128; "Blood clots intact #24: The man on the Shroud: The evidence is overwhelming that the Turin Shroud is authentic!," Sep 4, 2017 - 99


Notes:
1. This post is copyright. I grant permission to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to this page. [return]
2. Extract from, "Hugh Farey Is The Shroud of Turin a Forgery?" YouTube, August 24, 2015. [return]

Posted: 4 November 2017. Updated: 23 February 2021.

No comments: