Monday, January 19, 2015

My de Charny family tree on Ancestry.com

I have created and am adding to, a "de Charny family tree" on Ancestry.com. Its Home Person (the root of the tree) is Marguerite de Charny (c. 1390–1460), a granddaughter of Geoffrey I de Charny

[Above: A screenshot of the base of my Ancestry.com "de Charny family tree."]

(c.1300-1356) and Jeanne de Vergy (c.1332–1428), and the eldest child of Geoffroy II de Charny (c.1352–1398) and Marguerite de Poitiers (c.1362–1418).

The reason I chose Marguerite de Charny as the Home Person is that she was the last private person to own the Shroud, having given it to the House of Savoy in 1453 when she was aged about 60, widowed and childless. In my Tree Overview I wrote:

"My attempt to trace the owners of the Shroud of Turin, from its disappearance in the sack of Constantinople in 1204, to Marguerite de Charny (c. 1390-1460) who transferred the Shroud to the House of Savoy in 1453."

It is a public tree but (as far as I am aware) only those who have an active Ancestry.com account can access it. I started the tree based on the family trees and information in the books of genealogist, and Shroud pro-authenticist, Noel Currer-Briggs (1919-2004). But after that my tree `took off' as it began to intersect other Ancestry.com trees of 14th century and earlier French nobility.

I would like to hear from other Shroudies who also have an active Ancestry.com account (either through Ancestry.com's message facility, or by comments below this post), and who would like to help me improve this tree. I make no claim to infallibility and some of my dates are mere guesswork!

No comments: